The horse tail braid style is a fun and playful hairstyle, particularly suitable for kids who want to mix up their usual ponytail look. Inspired by the long and flowing tails of horses, this hairstyle is both chic and child-friendly. Here’s a step-by-step guide to achieving this adorable look:
What You’ll Need:
- A hairbrush or comb
- Hair elastics or bands (preferably matching the hair color or in a fun color of your choice)
- Hairpins or bobby pins (if needed)
- Hair spray or gel (optional, for hold)
- Prep the Hair:
- Start with detangled, dry hair. If the hair is freshly washed, make sure it’s completely dry to ensure the braid holds better.
- Brush the hair to remove any knots or tangles.
- Ponytail Base:
- Gather the hair into a high ponytail at the crown or slightly towards the back of the head, depending on where you’d like the braid to start.
- Secure with a hair elastic.
- Divide the ponytail into three even sections.
- Begin braiding by taking the right section over the middle, then the left section over the new middle. Continue this pattern until you reach the end of the ponytail.
- Secure the end with another hair elastic.
- Add Volume (optional):
- For a fuller, more voluminous braid (especially if the child has fine hair), gently tug on the edges of the braid using your fingers. This will “pancake” the braid, making it look wider and fuller.
- Secure and Set:
- If there are any loose hairs or flyaways, use bobby pins to tuck and secure them in place.
- For additional hold, especially if the child will be active, lightly spray the braid with hairspray or apply a small amount of gel to keep everything in place.
- Accessorize: Add hair accessories like ribbons, bows, or decorative hairpins for a touch of fun.
- Texture: For a more rustic and casual look, before braiding, you can create waves in the ponytail using a curling iron or by braiding wet hair the night before and undoing it in the morning.
- Double the Fun: Consider creating two horse tail braids (like pigtails) for a fun variation.
The horse tail braid style for kids is versatile and can be worn for both casual and special occasions. With practice, it can be a quick and easy go-to hairstyle, ensuring your child looks stylish and feels comfortable!